8th Grade Curriculum
SCIENCE & MATHEMATICS
- Physics: Hydraulics, Aeromechanics & Electromagnetism
- Chemistry: sugars, starches, proteins, fats & oils
- Mechanical/Mathematical Geometry
- Creative Thinking and Critical Reasoning
- Essay and Research Report Writing
- Poetry and Short Story Analysis and Writing
- Independent Reading and Advanced Literacy
- Oral Presentation
- Vocabulary Development & Grammar
HISTORY & GEOGRAPHY
- Major historical and cultural movements from the American Revolution to the modern day
- Global perspective surveys of landforms oceans, atmosphere, climates and ecosystems
- Clay Modeling
- Alternating 6-week blocks of German and Spanish
- Students participate in band or orchestra
- Recorders and singing with class teacher
- 7th/8th grade chorus
- 8th grade play: Past performances have included: a musical, Shakespeare play, or a well-known classic.
- High production values and total class participation in set building/painting, costumes
GYM & EURYTHMY
- Gym: team-based sports
- Eurythmy: Complex movement patterns and spatial coordination
FIELD TRIPS & COMMUNITY EVENTS
- Colorado Tableau: Southwest Desert trip. One week of river rafting, hiking, exploring a cliff dwellers village.
- Students engage in active community service on a Native American reservation.
Read more about the teacher's perspective for 8th grade.
8TH GRADE CURRICULUM: STUDENT BLOCK BOOK EXAMPLES
8th graders study the history of The American Revolution, The Industrial Revolution and The Civil War