Friday, August 31, 2012
Willkommen zum Deutschunterricht!
This course is an advance practice of German language skills. It reinforces the four language skills: reading, writing, speaking and listening. We will analyze one novel: Eine Liebe Aus Nichts (2010) by the contemporary German-Jewish writer Barbara Honigmann (1949- ).The study will focus on literary interpretation that will allow us to place the narrative within historical and social context of contemporary German-Jewish witting. The literary interpretation will be geared toward strengthening of speaking and writing skills. We will listen to short video clips pertaining to the cultural information inherent in our primary text. In class, we will review, discuss and apply complex aspects of German grammar, syntax and morphology including dialects and regional linguistic divergences. In addition, we will learn poems and discuss
By the end of the semester you will be able to:
• Know all grammar aspects from previous levels and how to put them into practice
• Recognize the various German dialects from the four German-speaking countries
• Know how to express an opinion about your family, marriage and childhood
• Know how to discuss travel and vacation plans
• Know the idiomatic expressions and phrasal verbs
• Know how to apply coordinate clauses such as um/zu; damit; nachdem, als/ wenn and bevor• Write simple, fixed expressions and limited memorized material, such as names, numbers, dates, own nationality, and other simple autobiographical information, as well as some short phrases and simple lists, to supply information on simple forms and documents.