Information for 10th grade service learning trip - UPDATED 5/23
Monday, May 12, 2014
Dear Parents and Students,
You have received a variety of emails from Global Volunteers with information regarding the class's service learning trip to Beards Fork, WV. In case you didn't recieve something, it got deleted or lost, all the information is posted here as links or linked attachments. Please, take the time to look through everything. Please, email Ms. Vig and Mr. Welcher (please include us both on any emails) with any questions you have.
Some of the information from Global Volunteers is generic rather than trip specific.
- Global Volunteers Philosophy - http://globalvolunteers.org/organization/philosophy/default.asp
- Global Volunteers FAQ - http://globalvolunteers.org/usa/usa_faq1.asp
- Recent Blogs at Global Voluntters - http://blogs.globalvolunteers.org/category/usa/
- We will be traveling to Beards Fork, WV for the class service learning trip. Beards Fork is ~40 miles SW and upstream of Charleston. We will be traveling there via Amtrak.
- Please, read the documents sent via email from Global Volunteers, which are also posted on the school message board.
- The packing list will be updated as we get closer to departure date.
- Students will have supervised down time/relaxation time during the trip. This may include hiking, white water rafting (details and cost are being determined to see if this is possible), a visit to Charleston, relaxing in the dormitory.
TRAVEL - DEPARTURE/RETURN
- We will be traveling by Amtrak on this trip.
- Depart Tuesday, May 27 at 5:45pm from Union Station
- Please arrive at Union Station at 3:45pm to allow time for group check-in
- Return Saturday, June 7 at 10:05am to Union Station
Per school policy for service learning trips, student cell phones will be collected before we depart Chicago. If you need to reach your student during the trip, please, contact Ms. Vig or Mr. Welcher.
Students should bring about $40-60 for eating on the train. The students should plan to give the teachers $30 of that so we can ensure they have money left for food on the return trip.
Ms. Vig – 312-363-9406
Mr. Welcher – 517-703-6080
General Trip information including departure time
What you can expect in Rural Appalachia - very important cultural information
Appalachian History and Culture
Packing List - This will be updated
Updated packing list 5/20
Optional Donations Information