Thursday, March 2011
Tuesday, March 15th at 3:30 / Lower Eurythmy Room
The Diversity Committee meets to support and nurture the growth of a diverse student population to reflect the city in which we live.
Members of the Diversity Committee attended the Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS) Diversity Summit - The Power of Equality and Justice, on February 17th & 18th. Come hear their assessment of this conference at our next meeting on March 15th. The committee has an open door policy and always welcomes new members of the community to join our meetings.
Some of the goals and initiatives that have been developed and are being maintained by the committee include:
Internal Community Goals:
- Increase visual images of the diversity in the curriculum throughout the school.
- Increase faculty & staff diversity by continued outreach at diversity job fairs and other recruitment outlets.
- Continue collaboration with the Festivals Committee to support diversity of cultural, ethnic, and geographically focused festivals.
- Support teachers in facilitating a multicultural curriculum and support the diversity in their classrooms.
- Support multicultural criteria in professional development and teacher evaluations related to expanding/strengthening diversity skills and curriculum.
- Collaborate with High School students; PTO; BIC and other school groups in supporting diversity initiatives.
Outward Community Goals:
- Make the diversity of the curriculum more visible (artwork, plays, etc) through outreach and marketing materials.
- Reach out to specific communities, targeting new outlets and ask parents to write articles and letters-to-the-editor for minority and culturally-specific media outlets.
- Partner with other (Waldorf and non-Waldorf) schools that are urban/demographically similar for brainstorming and combining of efforts in these areas.
Our vision is to support the paradigm of an inclusive school community where all sectors of our society are equally valued and represented among students, faculty and administrators.
Please join us in the next Diversity Committee meeting on Tuesday, March 15th at 3:30pm in the Lower Eurythmy room. For more information please contact Jennifer Zielinski.