Friday, May 2013
COMMUNITY NEWS :
- Newest Additions to the CWS Community!
We warmly welcome Ursula Burrows (grade 1) and her parents, Lara Oppenheimer and Dersu Burrows, to the Chicago Waldorf community. We love new members to the "CWS Family." Welcome!
- CWS Frosh Create "Geometry Math Rap" Video
High School students self-produced a wordy, wise, and high-speed delivery "Math Rap" that premiered on You Tube to enthusiastic responses. See the video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRxanbwaEz8 Congrats to Graham Heavenrich, Conor Sullivan, Shannon Sullivan, Natascha Ulrich and Siubhan Stormont for writing the lyrics, singing, self-producing, directing, performing in, posting and sharing the video!
< Life's Cycles of Renewal Continues. CWS gets a New Tree!
Did you notice that something new stands at the front of school waiting to welcome students for their daily rituals at the pick-up/drop-off lane? City workers recently planted a new sapling to take the place of the old tree that collapsed that had been ravaged by dry rot. Welcome this newest addition to the greenery and natural environment in the school's front vestibule.
- Interested in hosting German Waldorf Students this Summer?
Two high school students (1 boy and 1 girl, both 17 yrs. old) from a Waldorf school in Germany are looking for lodging or a host family in Chicago. CWS Circus Club's Meshu Tamarat encouraged them to come to Chicago and they will be volunteering with CircEsteem this summer. They will arrive at the end of June and stay through August. If you are interested to host them for some or all of the summer please, contact Info@CircEsteem.org
-Albion Parking Lot Gets a Makeover Into New Green Park
See this link for details about the City Parks Department's new proposed renovations of a vacant lot into a new Albion Park which will effect our Rogers Park neighbors..and all CWS classes that make trips to Albion beach!
ALUMNI NEWS CORNER:
- CWS graduate, Gwen Kelly-Masterton, has adapted, produced and directed French neo-classicist Jean Racine's "Andromache," a tragedy about survivors of the Trojan War. A passionate exploration of human relationships in the aftermath of war, this terrific production includes a wonderful mural by aftercare teacher Elena Amesbury, excellent acting, and a surprise ending that may move you profoundly. See a show in the final week of their run: May 1, 2, 3, 4 at Collaboraction's pentagon Theater on the 3rd floor of the Flat Iron Building , 1579 Milwaukee Ave. All performances are at 8pm. $15 Tickets can be purchased online at agatandromache.brownpapertickets.com, or at the door. Submitted by Beth Kelly
- Anna Balch is a CWS Grade School Alumnus from 2013 who is making news in Evanston and Highland Park for her exceptional athleticism in Softball. An excerpt: "Balch is having an outstanding start to the Evanston softball season, posting a 1.571 slugging percentage in the Wildkits’ first four games. Her impressive power numbers show just how much the Wildkits missed her last year. Balch was a sophomore..." Read the full article here Submitted by Cheryl Henley